Saturday, November 14, 2015

The Mobile Photography of Doris Vo

What is your name and where do you live?

Doris Vo. Orange County, California. USA


How did you get started in mobile photography? What device do you use?

DV:  I downloaded Instagram approximately 3 years ago when I received my first iPhone. Soon after, a friend I met on Instagram suggested I try a fun photo-a-day challenge by @fatmumslim. I was immediately hooked and haven't stopped snapping since.  All of my Instagram photos are iPhone. I currently shoot with the iPhone 6s. 

© Doris Vo



© Doris Vo

© Doris Vo


Do you have a traditional photography or art background?

DV:  Nope.  I've never taken a photography class, although I hope to one day soon. I would love to learn how to use my 'big girl' camera, as I like to call it.  The only art classes I've ever taken were the ones in grade school and an art history class in college. But I've always had a fondness for art and museums. 

© Doris Vo

© Doris Vo

© Doris Vo


Who or what inspires you?

DV:  Just about everything inspires me. I love every aspect of fashion and interior design. I'm drawn to bright colors, patterns, and textures. I think that's the first thing you notice when you see my gallery...all the pops of happy color and patterns. 

My son also inspires me. He is often the subject of my photos. It's amazing to witness life through his eyes and to capture those new special moments. Also, I draw a great amount of inspiration from other Instagrammers all around the world. The different landscapes and architecture. And their different styles of photography. Often times, I see something I want to try, and just add my own twist. Inspiration is everywhere.

© Doris Vo

© Doris Vo

© Doris Vo


Do you plan your shoots with an end in mind or do you shoot and decide later as you edit?

DV:  Both! For example, when I received the #shineonyoucrayumbrella , the traveling umbrella, I planned every photo. I dreamt up an image in my head, set up the shot, and then edited. Other times, you take what you can get in a natural environment and decide later how you want to edit. 

© Doris Vo

© Doris Vo



How did your particular style develop?

DV:  I honestly don't know. My gallery is such a mishmash of things. It just evolved over the past 3 years on its own. I'm not even sure what to call my style. I guess I lean towards a minimal look with lots of color. And my new favorite app for editing is Union App. It has greatly changed my photography this year, as it has allowed me to create different images that my imagination conjures up. I think my style is continually evolving as I explore more everyday. 

© Doris Vo

© Doris Vo


What apps do you use for editing (besides Union)?

DV:  I run most of my photos through Snapseed for cropping, brightening, etc. I will use Mextures for my moodier photos to add textures and different colors. I use Over when I add typography to my photos.


Is most of your work like this one (below) composite work made from assorted images?

DV:  Exactly. I take different images and blend them one by one until my idea comes to life.

© Doris Vo


Is there a particular subject you enjoy shooting?

DV:  Not really. I'm a stay-at-home mom to a clingy 4 year old boy so whatever I come across and I'm able to shoot, I jump at the chance. However, I do always seem to be in search of colorful walls and the accidental stranger who may add another dimension to my photos. 

© Doris Vo

© Doris Vo

Have you ever sold or exhibited your work? If not, any plans for the future? 

DV:  It would be a dream come true to exhibit my work one day. Hopefully, an opportunity will arise in the future. One of my photos was chosen to be in the first issue of Brilliance Magazine, a digital magazine dedicated to highlighting minimal photography from around the world. 

© Doris Vo


Do you use any special gear on your mobile device - add-on lenses, tripods, etc?

DV:  On occasion I have used a mobile tripod, but I find it easier to simply position or prop the phone on things around me. I do own an Olloclip, but rarely use it these days. 

© Doris Vo

© Doris Vo


What advice would you give mobile photographers just starting out? 

DV:  My advice would be to take pictures of everything. Try different angles. Open your eyes to places and things you might not normally see. Often times, some of my best shots are when I least expect them. During the editing process, the photo comes to life in unexpected ways. You may see details that you didn't initially see while shooting. Above all else, have fun. 

© Doris Vo

© Doris Vo


Is there anything else you'd like to add?

DV:  Thank you, Geri, for your interest in my photography and taking the time to share it with others. 


Find Doris: Instagram

Apps Mentioned:

No comments:

Post a Comment