Sunday, November 22, 2015

The Whole Story by Nick Nowak

This edition of The Whole Story features a very special photographer, my son Nick Nowak. Nick has always had a creative side, so it is no surprise to me that he also has a great photographic eye. I'm honored to showcase his work here.

The Photograph

© Nick Nowak




The Whole Story by Nick Nowak

My job takes me to some very interesting places throughout the Caribbean and Central America. On a recent trip to Belize I had a half-day free so I decided to take a road trip out to the ruins of Altun Ha north of Belize City. On the way out, my friend and driver, Greg, was in search of a spot for us to grab some lunch and we stumbled upon a roadside “restaurant” in a small village next to the ruins. The owner was a Belizean woman who I would guess was in her late 30’s. Greg was quick to order us a dozen “garnachas” which are a simple Mexican dish made from whole fried tortillas, beans and salsa. I counted a total of 5 children playing around the restaurant, I would guess their ages were 2-8. I assumed they were all siblings as they looked very much alike, a fact later confirmed by Greg. Two of the kids (the ones in the photo) were so quiet that I didn’t notice them until I sat down at one of the small tables and was directly facing them. Recognizing how photogenic the pair was I walked up to them, squatted down and asked if I could take their photo. The mom could see me from the kitchen as she was frying the tortillas and I looked up at her and she gave me a nod of approval. I took out my phone and snapped a few shots, this was the first one.

I edited the photo using Snapseed. I like the edit because the two kids were such old souls. Looking into their big brown eyes I felt like they had already been through so much at such a young age and their surroundings with the old car seat, the chipped paint and rustic floor complimented this perfectly.


The Photographer

A native of the Cayman Islands, Nick's background is in Business Administration and Marketing. He has over 13 years of commercial and residential real estate development experience in the Caribbean and is the President & CEO of the Coral Beach Village development on the island of Utila, Honduras. Nick lives northeast of Philadelphia with his wife and 2 daughters. He is an avid diver and fisherman and an amateur photographer.




Apps Mentioned:

Add to Flipboard Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment